Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Glass Gadgets?

It’s really irritating to get forwarded mails just because you get your hopes up when you see “INBOX (26)”, thinking they could be mails from friends, colleagues or old classmates when they are just chain letters or forwarded emails. Anyway, today I am not gonna put my two cents on that. I am going to talk about something interesting which I got from forwarded emails (What can I say, I was bored! So I guess… *reluctantly* there is a good side to it).

What do you guys think of this?

My first thought – background picture was taken earlier.

What about this?

It feels like the screen is totally taken out!

So anyway, if I were to send this to you right now, would you believe that this transparent laptop screen exists? Maybe, maybe not. But that’s not the point now, is it?

Transparent screen will the next big thing for laptops and desktops. This concept is no doubt really cool but as I was browsing through the net, I saw something way cooler.

Picture obtained from http://www.pickmore.com/technology/sony-vaio-conceptual-transparent-screen-laptop-461

Photos courtesy of http://petitinvention.wordpress.com/2008/10/25/double-layered-transparent-screen/

Awesome, isn't it???!!?

Sony Vaio: You can only see through the transparent screen ONLY when the laptop is turned off.

Petitinvention:The double-layered transparent screen mobile is of course see through. What amazes me about this particular concept is that it is able to provide visuals in high resolutions with touch-screen functions.

Unfortunately, these are just concepts at the moment - sorry to burst your bubbles, they are NOT real.... yet. It would be so cool to have one... so slick, sophisticated, class and sooo.... fragile. Yeah, I would say owning one mobile or laptop like that would give one the kind of OOOooooo... Aahhhhh... attention. Obviously, when I first saw them, I WANT IT!! The burning desire would eventually died down once I realised that it is not so practical.

WHY????

Well, for starters, I never really like touch-screen functions because it would leave smudges. With a transparent screens like those, smudges or fingerprints make it look unclean.

"Wipe it lo..." you say? Of course you can wipe it, but everything functions via TOUCH SCREEN! Need I say more??

Let's move on the reason number two, it looks very fragile and delicate to me. I don't think you can even drop these AT ALL. I am pretty sure they will break and so will your heart.

Also, traveling with it means you need to be labeled with "CAREFUL! FRAGILE!" A bump or a fall can give cracks to the screen and that's not gonna be pretty.

Having said ALL that, it would still be cool to have one! *grins* I guess ONE moderately good reason wins all.

4 comments:

  1. New vaio line up LOOKS sweet and I am sure it also works great. I wonder if it is durable though? I mean I am kinda sure they'll tell you "it-is-durable-but-of-course-you-have-to-be-careful-you-know"...meaning it is as sturdy as an iphone. Which means - it is not.

    I'd love to see companies adapt some new inventive scalable technologies to save power and deliver real web 2.0 experience. Hope new vaio is on the right track here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol... I think Apple had already developed a laptop that saves power and it is totally 100% recyclable. It's in their official site. http://www.apple.com/mac/green-notebooks/

    ReplyDelete
  3. 100% recyclable is a frivolous fiction only an Apple marketing exec could claim :) What I am talking about is a different approach to computing alltogether. I am sure at some stage big players such as Apple or Sony will adapt this too but they do not move technology forward - they wait till small tech companies do that for them and only then they buy ready-made solutions. Sure wide public might believe what marketing execs say - that's how industry wants it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooohhh... is that so? I never thought of that. Maybe I have been swallowed up by the claim "greenest family of notebooks". =P I really do hope they can make electronic devices that are environmental friendly!

    ReplyDelete