Tuesday, September 12, 2006

My Worst Nightmare - Frog Dissection

I do not know if I told you all before but I have a phobia about toads and frogs. They are ugly little cretins where you will find them hiding in your shoes at times. It's worse when you had to feel them moving in your shoes when you placed your foot in your shoe... Yuck!!! The worst experience that I had to encounter is to dissect a toad or frog or whatever yesterday during biology lab!

Before the lab, as I was walking to my university, I was listening to 'Hakuna Matata' from the Disney movie The Lion King. As the lyrics goes,
"Hakuna Matata/what a wonderful phrase
Hakuna Matata/Ain't no passing craze
It means no worries/for the rest of your days/
It's our problem free philosophy/Hakuna Matata.."
Hoping that it will keep my mind off 'that thing' for a while. At that time, I really needed to be calm. However... It didn't last long.

Man... The experience was just utterly horrible!!! Worst than horrible!! When the lab assistant brought a bucket of toads to our table, most of us went "EWWWW!!!!" "EEEYAAA!!!" "EEEEEEE!!" Then he placed each toad on the plates that were prepared for each table. The toad was really big! It was bigger than my hand!

The first thing that we had to do was to pin the toad on the plate so that it will be easier to dissect it later. As if the situation wasn't bad enough, my lab partner was afraid to touch it! Reluctantly, I touch the toad to pin it down. As I was doing that, big drops of tears flowed down my cheeks. Not because I felt sorry for the dead toad, but I had to TOUCH the creature! When my lad partner saw me started to cry, she said "OKOKOK, I'll do it too!" She NEARLY cried as well. Together, we dissected the toad layer by layer, took out the organs (it stinks by the way), made some observations and took some pictures as we need to draw the structure of the organs in our lab report later. At the beginning of the dissection, it was just unbearable. As we progressed along, we gotten quite stable, emotionally. Thank God it is all OVER! Phew~!

No comments:

Post a Comment